Vacancy Announcement - Assistant Tax Assessor
HERTFORD COUNTY IS SEEKING TO FILL THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME POSITION WITHIN THE TAX ASSESSOR DEPARTMENT:
ASSISTANT TAX ASSESSOR
General Definition of Work
Performs difficult paraprofessional and intermediate administrative work coordinating the various functions of the County Tax Department; does related work as required. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Tax Assessor. Supervision is exercised over a small group of subordinate personnel.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
Assisting with administrative and supervisory duties; coordinating tax listing, collection, motor vehicle and personal property appraisal functions of the department; establishing work standards and evaluating employee performance; assisting citizens with tax questions and problems; overseeing and coordinating the preparation and maintenance of files and records.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Coordinates and supervises the work of subordinate staff engaged in the listing of taxes; monitors work standards and evaluates employees on performance objectives.
- Provides information to tax listers and resolves citizen complaints or problems.
Coordinates work efforts between departmental work section and other departments.
- Prepares required reports of tax values, sales ratio studies and other reports; reviews reports, records and documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Assists with preparing and implementing departmental budget.
- Assists business with completion of abstracts and responds to various inquiries; processes business abstracts; grants listing extensions to businesses.
- Interprets state and County tax laws to the public; notifies taxpayers of decisions made.
- Enters appraisal changes in the computer for processing; supervises and assists in checking records to discover unlisted property; ensures that public service companies are billed.
- Prepares and prints tax scrolls for the County and municipalities; applies street assessments.
- Reviews tax records after listing period deadline; processes deferred tax bills; assists taxpayers in completing exemption applications, land use applications and researching property location, ownership and other tax information.
- Performs various research, special projects; prepares and reviews various records, files and reports; analyzes data to determine decisions under law and regulations.
- Collects fees for property record cards and issues appropriate receipts; processes and mails out statements on daily rental vehicles.
- Processes purchase orders and submits invoices.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the State and local laws and policies regarding taxation; thorough knowledge of the procedures, forms, record keeping systems and reports for the tax department; ability to plan, organize, and supervise the activities of the tax office; ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public in adjusting complaints and explaining tax laws and policies; ability to solve problems within scope of responsibility; ability to handle money accurately and keep accurate records of transactions.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and a minimum of 3 year’s experience in working in municipal or County tax administration.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of or ability to acquire North Carolina Fundamentals of Listing and Assessing Business Personal Property within two years of employment.
$33,953 – $52,629
May 6, 2021
To be considered for this position, you must complete a Hertford County Application for Employment, in its entirety and it must be signed. Cover letters, resumes, transcripts, and other supplemental documentation may accompany your Hertford County Application for Employment. Selected candidates are subject to a criminal background check and motor vehicle record check.
Submit applications by mail, email, or facsimile to:
Attn: Komita Hendricks, HR Specialist
115 Justice Drive, Suite 1
Winton, NC 27986
Phone: (252) 358-7805
Fax: (252) 427-4585 (include cover letter)
Hertford County is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ AA.