Tax Clerk - Assessor
Hertford County is seeking to fill the following full-time position within the Tax Assessor Department:
General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate clerical work involving the appraisal, listing and billing of individual and business real and personal property taxes; does related work as required. Work is performed under immediate supervision.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
Listing taxes; preparing and mailing tax bills; performing clerical assistance tasks; entering data; maintaining records and files; assisting the public.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Performs a variety of office assistance tasks in the appraisal, listing and billing of taxes.
- Assists callers and walk-in customers; answers questions; provides information.
- Assists with the listing, preparation and mailing of tax bills.
- Prepares correspondence, letters, notices, etc. to taxpayers concerning a variety of issues; prepares reports.
- Prints and prepares abstracts; keys in business personal property information that is listed on business abstracts.
- Processes mobile home owner park reports and land use letters on deferred property.
- Performs comparison and update of business listings using a variety of sources.
- Prepares notices to property owners who improved, bought, sold or requested reviews.
- Prepares and processes bill corrections; maintains records on voids and backbills.
- Updates deed records; verifies information in computer.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail.
- Assists the public with the completion of standardized records and documents.
- Receives citizen's inquiries, complaints and service requests and resolves them within the framework of established policies, procedures and laws and ordinances.
- Prepares, maintains and processes various reports, forms and correspondence.
- Maintains filing system; refiles information on a regular basis.
- Operates standard office, word and data processing equipment.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of tax appraisal, listing, billing or collection programs, policies and procedures; general knowledge of standard office methods and procedures, business English, spelling and arithmetic; ability to operate standard office and data entry equipment; ability to make decisions relating to assigned operations in conformance with applicable laws and policies; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and a minimum of 1 year clerical experience involving contact with the general public.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of or ability to acquire North Carolina Fundamentals of Property Tax Listin and Assessing certification within two years of employment
$26,096 - $33,273
Open Until Filled.
To be considered for this position, you must complete a Hertford County Application for Employment, in its entirety and it must be signed. Cover letters, resumes, transcripts, and other supplemental documentation may accompany your Hertford County Application for Employment. Selected candidates are subject to a criminal background check and motor vehicle record check.
Submit applications by mail, email, or facsimile to:
Attn: Komita Hendricks, HR Specialist
115 Justice Drive, Suite 1
Winton, NC 27986
Phone: (252) 358-7805
Fax: (252) 427-4585 (include cover letter)
Hertford County is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ AA.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled