Hertford County is seeking to fill the following part-time within the E-911 Department:
General Definition of Work
Performs responsible technical work dispatching law enforcement, fire and rescue personnel and other equipment and personnel usually in response to emergency situations; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Central Communications Director.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks
Receiving, processing and dispatching law enforcement, fire and rescue emergency service calls; monitoring law enforcement frequencies; receiving, recording and forwarding non-emergency service calls; preparing and maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Answers 911 telephone system, referring calls to appropriate agency or personnel.
- Receives, processes and forwards calls for service to appropriate agencies and officers or provides information as needed.
- Provides the general public with information, assistance or direction when necessary.
- Operates law enforcement radios and maintains communications with numerous law enforcement agencies through radio communication.
- Answers, records and distributes weather alerts.
- Enters calls received into computer system; updates calls for service data obtained from officers at incident location.
- Operates a computer terminal connected to a network that includes the Division of Criminal Information, the National Crime Information Center and a variety of local, regional and/or state emergency response databases to obtain and enter information; processes and maintains records of information obtained.
- Responds to requests from other law enforcement agencies; retrieves information requested by department personnel.
- Prepares reports concerning important events or instances.
- Gathers criminal history and Department of Motor Vehicle information as requested.
- Operates a variety of office equipment such as computer, typewriter, copier and recorder.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of the methods of operating telecommunications equipment; general knowledge of radio and teletype procedures; general knowledge of the geography of the County and location of important buildings; ability to type at a reasonable rate of speed; ability to speak distinctly; ability to solve problems within scope of responsibility; ability to operate CAD equipment; ability to deal courteously with the public under stressful conditions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of or ability to acquire basic telecommunicator and Division of Criminal Information certifications within one year of employment.
$14.71 per hour
Open until filled.
To be considered for this position, you must complete a Hertford County Application for Employment, in its entirety and it must be signed. Cover letters, resumes, transcripts, and other supplemental documentation may accompany your Hertford County Application for Employment. Selected candidates are subject to a criminal background check and motor vehicle record check.
Submit applications by mail, email, or facsimile to:
Attn: Komita Hendricks, HR Specialist
115 Justice Drive, Suite 1
Winton, NC 27986
Phone: (252) 358-7805
Fax: (252) 358-0198 (include cover letter)
Hertford County is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ AA.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled