Mission Statement: To protect the life, health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Hertford County and comply with local, state, and federal laws by ensuring that public and private buildings are constructed or remodeled in accordance with all minimum codes. To provide the highest level of customer service and perform building inspections in an efficient, professional and timely manner.
Hertford County Inspection Department has authority granted under NCGS 153-352. The duties and responsibilities of an inspection department and of the inspectors in it are to enforce within the county’s territorial jurisdiction. State and local laws and local ordinances and regulations relating to:
- The construction of buildings;
- The installation of such facilities as plumbing systems, electrical systems, heating systems, refrigeration system, and air-conditioning systems;
- The maintenance of buildings in a safe, sanitary, and healthful condition;
- Other matters that may be specified by the board of commissioners.
These duties and responsibilities include receiving applications for permits and issuing or denying permits, making necessary inspections, issuing or denying certificates of compliance, issuing orders to correct violations, bringing judicial actions against actual or threatened violations, keeping adequate records, and taking any other actions that be required to adequately enforce the laws and ordinances and regulations. The board of commissioners may enact reasonable and appropriate provisions governing the enforcement of the laws and ordinance and regulations.
**The inspections office is temporarily closed to the public**
Permits will be issued between the hours of 9:00AM - 4:30PM Monday-Thursday and 9:00AM-12:00PM on Friday.
- Applications for Building, Mobile/Manufactured Homes, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Gas and Insulation may be downloaded under the tabs below.
- Please review checklists under each tab below to ensure you have all necessary documents to obtain permits before submitting to the inspections department.
- Signed and completed applications with supporting documents submitted for review may be emailed to email@example.com , faxed, dropped off in blue box in front of office, or mailed.
- Signed & completed applications to be submitted (with payment for correct permit fee), or payments only, may be dropped off in blue box in front of office or mailed.
- All fees must be paid by check or cash. Checks should be made payable to Hertford County.
- Please call or email our office should you have any questions or concerns.
- Who can sign/apply for permits?
- Must be a NC Licensed Contractor (provide copy of license)
- Homeowner: must provide proof of ownership (deed, title, or contract of sale)
- Confirmation of Land Owner – if homeowner & landowner are different, a notarized permission letter from the land owner(s) is required
- For properties that have more than one owner/heir, a signed letter by each owner must be provided, giving permission to do work to property.
- Rental Property/Property you do not plan to live in for 12 months or longer: NC licensed contractors ONLY (provide copy of license)
Robert MizelleChief Code Enforcement Officer Contact Information
Robert MizelleChief Code Building InspectorEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Becca RowlandAdministrative AssistantEmail: email@example.comOffice Telephone: (252) 358-7813 or (252) 358-7814Fax: (252) 358-1241Physical Address: 307 W. Tryon StreetMailing Address: P.O. Box 424Winton, NC 27986
Plan Review will be a minimum of two (2) weeks and MUST include the Non-Residential Application and a copy of the Plans.
** Any complaints relating to environmental issues, or anything other than physical structural issues, please contact your local Zoning Department**
**Hertford County Code Enforcement/Building Inspections is not authorized to address “Mold Issues”-Please contact DHHS at 919-855-4800**