- Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding Holidays.
- Applicants are requested to arrive at our office prior to 4:30 p.m. The Hertford County Courthouse is located at 119 Justice Drive, Suite 9, Winton, NC 27986.
The fee for the license is $60.00, payable by cash, check, money order and debit/credit card.
- To obtain a marriage license both applicants must present identification.
- Identification may consist of a current driver’s license or state ID.
- Applicants under 20 years of age must use a copy of their birth certificate as a form of identification.
- Applicants 16 or 17 years of age must have written parental consent and certified copies of their birth certificate.
- Applicants must provide a verified Social Security number. Presenting a Social Security card, W-2 form, or pay stub with the number will satisfy the verification requirement.
- Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by presenting a notarized affidavit that states “I have not been issued a social security number by the US government and I am not eligible to obtain one.” The affidavit is available in the Register of Deeds office.
- Date and documentation of divorce or death of previous spouse is required where applicable.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance.
- For information, including office hours and fees, on having the ceremony performed by the Magistrate, call 252-358-7829.
- Copies of marriage licenses issued in Hertford County may be requested in person or by signed request mailed to Hertford County Register of Deeds, 119 Justice Drive, Suite 9, Winton , NC 27986.
(Click here for Worksheet For Preparation of Marriage License Form)