Child Support Enforcement

What is Child Support Services?

Child Support Services is a national program established by Congress in 1975 to ensure that both parents are responsible for the support of their children to the best of their ability.  The CSE program provides services to anyone who is responsible for a child, regardless of income.   


Services available through the Child Support program include:

  • Location of noncustodial parents
  • Paternity establishment for children born outside of marriage
  • Establishment of support obligations
  • Collection and distribution of support
  • Enforcement of support obligations


How to Apply

Services are available to anyone who is responsible for a child, regardless of income.  Families who receive WorkFirst benefits and Medicaid assistance are referred to the child support enforcement office by the Hertford County Department of Social Services.  Cooperation with efforts to pursue paternity and support is required as a condition of eligibility.

If you do not receive WorkFirst, you may apply for services by completing an application and paying an application fee of either $25.00 or $10.00, depending on your financial situation.  Applications are available through the local office at 418 S. Everette Street, Ahoskie, NC, calling the customer service call center at 1-800-992-9457, or can be downloaded in either English or Spanish at ,


Customer Service

Anyone with a child support case can get information on their case using the web or telephone.  The State of North Carolina has set up a website to allow anyone to quickly obtain case and payment information at  The website allows you to find complete child support information and be able to conduct transactions, whether you are a parent or an employer.

For additional questions about payment information, case status information, payment histories, direct deposit authorization, payment coupons, or general child support information you can call the toll free number 1-800-992-9457.  This state-of-the-art customer service center assists callers 24 hours a day with an automated Interactive Voice Response Unit (IVR).  Personalized assistance is also available between 7:30am and 7:30pm.  For all other questions, or to speak to your caseworker, please call the local child support office at 1-252-332-2913 or visit us at 418 S. Everette Street in Ahoskie, North Carolina.  You can also visit the State of North Carolina’s Child Support website at for answers to general questions about the program. 


Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I pay my child support?

The most efficient way to pay your child support is through an automatic deduction of your paycheck (income withholding) to get this set up, please contact the child support office and let them know your employer’s name.  If deductions are not made from your income, you should receive a payment coupon and self-addressed envelope in the mail each month.  All you have to do is:

  1. Make your check or money order payable to N.C. Child Support;
  2. Write your assigned Master Participant Index Number (MPI#) on your payment;
  3. Enclose your check or money order with your payment coupon in the self-addressed envelope provided; and
  4. Mail the envelope to:
N.C. Child Support
Centralized Collections
P O Box 900006
Raleigh, NC 27675-0577

You can also pay your child support through a bank draft, to sign up for a bank draft you must submit a registration form to the N.C. Child Support Centralized Collections (NCCSCC) office by US mail or fax the form to 1-919-787-6055.  A form may be obtained by calling the NCCSCC at 1-877-361-5437 (for bank draft inquiries only) or by downloading it from the N.C. Child Support Website,

You can also pay by credit card by registering online at our website and use your MasterCard® or Visa ® to make a child support payment.

How do I receive my child support?

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services provides you with a fast, easy, and safe way to receive your child support payments.  You can choose to have your child support deposited directly into a bank account of your choice or choose to have your payments loaded into a debit card account, which we call the ncKIDScard.  For more information about direct deposit into a bank account, please visit our website at or contact the call center at 1-800-992-9457.  For more information about the ncKIDScard please go to or call the customer service call center at 1-800-992-9457.

Print pageEmail page