Frequently Asked Questions


What are your hours of operation?

8:30 am until 5:00 pm Monday-Friday, except for county observed Holidays and closings

Marriage Licenses – issued from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm.

Where are you located?

119 Justice Drive, Suite 9, Winton, NC 27986. We are on the third floor of the Hertford County Courthouse.

What types of payment are accepted?

Cash, checks and money orders are accepted. Checks or money orders should be payable to the Hertford County Register of Deeds. Please make sure a valid telephone number is listed. Credit/debit cards are accepted for electronic on-line vital records requests only.



How can I obtain a copy of my deed

All indexes and real estate documents are on-line and can be printed. Copies can also be obtained at the Register of Deeds office.

Can you tell me if there is a lien is on my property?

No. If property was used to borrow money there should be a deed of trust recorded in this office.

Can I obtain a copy of a map or plat of my property?

Only if it has been surveyed and recorded.

Can I request copies of documents by fax or on-line?

There is a fee for this service, $1.00 for the first page and $.25 for each additional page.We do not accept credit cards for this service.

Does your office perform title searches?

No, the North Carolina General Statutes prohibits Register of Deeds staff from performing title searches. An individual or their legal representative may perform the search.

Does your office accept Electronic Recordings?

No, not at this time.

Can you make changes to my Deed?

A deed is a legal document which establishes the ownership of property. Changes cannot be made by this office. A new deed will need to be prepared. Our recommendation is to see an attorney.

Can the Register of Deeds office tell me who owns property by an address?

No, our records are found by indexed names, not location. Contact Land Records Mapping Department at 252-358-7809.

Can I get information on an estate, will , or divorce decree in this office?

No, you will need to contact the Clerk of Superior Court at 252-358-7100.

How do I register a Business Name?

Assumed Name forms are recorded in this office. Contact Business Link North Carolina, a free service of the NC Department of Commerce at or call 1-800-228-8443 for business information and resources.

How can I replace my original deed that is lost or misplaced?

The Register of Deeds is authorized by law to issue a certified copy of any document recorded in the public registry. There is a $5.00 fee for the first page, and $2.00 for each addition page.


VITAL RECORDS  (Birth, Deaths and Marriages)

Can I request my certificate by fax or on-line?

We do not accept faxed requests. Requests can be in person or electronically using Get Certificate Now, our on-line vital records program.

If I was born in another county or state can I get my certificate from your office?

We do not have access to birth records from another state. We partner with NC Vital Records and can issue birth certificates from another country for births after 1971. The fee for an out of county birth certificate is $24.00.

Do you accept credit cards?

Only if you are requesting a vital record on-line through Get Certificate Now.

Can anybody look up my information (birth, death and marriage)?

Yes.  All of the records in this office are open to the public except military discharges.

Can I view birth, death and marriage certificates on line?

No.  These can be viewed in the office only.

What is the charge for a certified birth, death or marriage certificate?

Out of county certified birth certificates are $24.00. Certified copies (on certificate paper, with original official signature and raised seal) are $10.00. Uncertified copies are $.25 each.

What do I need to bring to get a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?

You will need to bring a valid government issued photo ID (such as a drivers license) and $10.00 cash, check or money order. Credit cards are not accepted in the office.

Can anyone pick up a certified copy of my birth, death or marriage certificate?

No. Only you, your spouse, brother/sister, child/grandchild, parent/step-parent, grandparent, or an authorized agent, attorney or legal representative of any of the above persons listed will be allowed to obtain a certified copy of any vital record.

What do I need to get a license to be married?

Both parties to the marriage should arrive at the office by 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday to apply for the license.

Bring a valid government issued photo ID (such as a drivers license, passport, or military ID).Bring a social security card, or proof of a social security number. If you are not eligible for a Social Security card, you may sign an affidavit.

Bring a birth certificate if you are under 20 years of age.

Bring proof of how previous marriage ended if less than 1 year.

The license is only valid for sixty (60) days.

You will need $60 in cash, check or money order.

(Click here for Worksheet For Preparation of Marriage License Form)

Can I purchase my marriage license in Hertford County, but get married in another county in North Carolina?

A license can be issued in any county and the marriage can occur anywhere in North Carolina. The license must be returned to the county it was issued and certified copies can only be obtained from the same county.

Does the Register of Deeds marry couples once a license is received?

No. You may contact the Magistrate’s office at 252-358-7800, which is located at the Hertford County Sheriff’s Department, 701 N. Taylor Street, Winton, NC.   The magistrate requires a photo ID for the couple, along with 2 witnesses. The fee is $50.00

How can I obtain a copy of my marriage certificate?

You may request a copy in person, by mail, or on-line. Copies are available upon the return of the original marriage license at a fee of $10.00 each. A certified copy is needed for a name change on your driver’s license and your Social Security card.

What is the process for receiving my Notary Public appointment?

When the Secretary of State approves your notary commission or notary reappointment you will receive notification instructing you to appear in the Register of Deeds office to take your oath of office. All information is sent to our office directly from the Secretary of State. No appointment is necessary. The fee is $10.00, payable in cash, check or money order. All Notary Public forms and other information is available on the Secretary of State’s website at

What is the charge for filing my Military Discharge?

None, this is a free service for veterans.

Are Military Discharges public information?

No. Military Discharges are not available for public viewing.

Is there a fee for a certified copy of my Military Discharge?

No. Veterans can also receive a free certified copy.