Voter Registration Information

How to Register to Vote

First, check to see if you are already registered at:

If you are not already registered, you may register to vote in Hertford County if you are:

  • A citizen of the United States (if convicted of a felony, citizenship rights must have been restored).
  • A person 18 years of age of older or will be 18 years of age by the General Election.
  • A legal resident of Hertford County for 30 days by the date of the next election.

Hertford County has a permanent registration system. You need to register, transfer, or re-register ONLY if you:

  • Have not registered in Hertford County before.
  • Have moved to a different voting precinct since you registered in Hertford County. If you move, it is a violation of the law to return to your old precinct after 30 days.
  • Wish to change your party affiliation.
  • Have changed your name.


Complete the Voter Registration Application

The State Board of Elections issues the standard Voter Registration application. You can download a copy from the links below:

Voter Registration Application

To register to vote, complete the Voter Registration Application and mail it to:

Hertford County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 416
Winton, NC 27986

For more information about the standard Voter Registration application, please contact the State Board of Elections directly at:

State Board of Elections
P.O. Box 27255
Raleigh, NC 27611-7255

A voter registration card will be mailed to you once your registration application has been processed. They are mailed monthly. Keep the card as it may be used to change your address by mail should you move, change your name or change your party within Hertford County. It can also be used to cancel your Hertford County registration should you move out of the county.

A registration form must be postmarked 25 days before election or delivered to the Board of Elections office no later than 25 days before election in order to be good for that election.

Your voter registration may be placed in an inactive status if a voter card is returned by the Postal Service as undeliverable.

Party Affiliation

When you register, you will need to declare your party affiliation. You may register with any recognized party in North Carolina. Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may also register as unaffiliated. During a partisan primary election, an unaffiliated voter may vote only in a party primary that authorizes unaffiliated voters. If no party authorizes unaffiliated voters, they may only vote in non-partisan races and bond issues.

Registration Locations

You may obtain registration forms at the following locations in Hertford County:

  • Board of Elections Office, 700 N King Street
  • Public Libraries during regular hours
  • Drivers License Office
  • High Schools
  • Various Agencies (Social Services, Agencies dealing with people with disabilities, Employment Security Commission)
  • You may also request a registration form by phone or mail from:
Hertford County Board of Elections
700N King Street
P.O. Box 416
Winton, NC 27986

In addition, you may change your address by filling out the back of your voter registration card and returning it to the Board of Elections. CARD MUST BE POSTMARKED 25 DAYS BEFORE ELECTION OR RECEIVED IN THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS OFFICE BY 5:00 PM, 25 DAYS BEFORE ELECTION.